The Healing Crisis
. . . or as it is formally known, The Herxheimer Reaction, is characterized by a temporary increase in discomfort during the body’s process of detoxification. It occurs when internal toxins and wastes are being released faster than the body can eliminate them.
Whether you’ve chosen to started a cleansing or a natural health and healing program, it is possible that you will experience one or more of these complaints that are commonly called a healing crisis.
The body naturally cleanses itself, every day, to eliminate the internal wastes and environmental toxins that have accumulated. Sometimes, after making an immoderate choice, or start a cleansing program, you’ll experience a symptom of a detox as the body purges itself. The severity and duration of the “toxic state” can overwhelm your body’s ability to eliminate the wastes – setting the stage for chronic health conditions declining or failing health.
A general rule of thumb for a Healing Crisis is:
. . . the more dietary, medical and/or environmental toxins that you’ve accumulated – over time
– the more severe the effects of the detoxification during a cleanse or natural healing program.
What You Can Expect When Your Body Purges and Cleanses
The Herxheimer Reaction is an indication that the process of cleansing and detoxification is working and that your body is cleaning itself of impurities, toxins and other wastes.
The Duration of the Detox Reaction is Unpredictable
The reactions are temporary, but, depending on the levels of toxicity, they may:
• occur immediately • within several days • or even several weeks later.
- Some people feel flu like complaints during the first few days of the cleanse because your body is dumping toxins into the blood stream for elimination. The ill-affects usually pass within 1-3 days. On rare occasions, they may last several weeks.
NOTE: Sometimes, the discomfort during the healing crisis is of greater intensity than before starting a cleanse.
- Another crisis may come after you begin feeling your very best.
- There may be many small crises to go through before the final crisis is experienced.
- The healing crisis may bring about experiences of past conditions.
NOTE: While people often forget past diseases or injuries, they may be reminded during the healing crisis.
- On a positive note: many people experience little or no discomfort – at all.
The Reactions to Cleansing Are Unpredictable
In any case, once the cleansing and purifying process is underway and the stored wastes and toxins are in a free-flowing state so, the severity and duration of the healing crisis is a direct indication of the amount of toxins and wastes that are being released from inside your body.
There are a wide variety of reactions, too. They range from none to severe with some or many symptoms of a healing crisis including:
- Increased joint or muscle pain
- Fatigue and/or its opposite, restlessness
- Aches, Pains
- Sinus congestion
- Fever (usually low grade)
- Frequent urination and/or urinary tract discharges
- Change in blood pressure
- Skin eruptions, including: boils, hives, and rashes
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
- Strong emotions: anger, despair, sadness, fear
- Suppressed memories
- Mood swings
How to Ease Your Way Through the Healing Crisis
- Drink plenty of fresh water to flush the body of toxins from the detoxification cleanse. Some professionals recommend distilled water as the best. Drink from 3 to 4 quarts (or liters) per day. This will help flush the toxins out of your system and speed along the detoxification.
NOTE: A headache may indicate insufficient water intake … drink more water!
- Avoid “white” foods. White flour products (bread, pasta, etc), milk and all dairy products, sugar and starches (white rice, potatoes, etc.).
- Eat light meals. Chicken, turkey, vegetables and soups are especially beneficial.
- Avoid red meat.
- Be kind to yourself, and get the rest that you need. If you are feeling fatigued or sleepy, your body is telling you to rest. Symptoms frequently disappear immediately after a good bowel movement. A good massage might be helpful to speed up the healing process and reduce the discomfort.
NOTE: On occasion, a reduction of the dosage or temporary cessation may be required until the severity subsides.
The Health and Healing Benefits of a Detoxified Body
. . . far outweigh any inconveniences that you might experience during the process.
Many people describe experiencing a feeling of lightness while others are unable to describe what they experience other than to say they can’t remember when they felt better.
Keeping your body cleansed and refreshed is:
- The best insurance against declining and failing health.
- The 1st step when you begin the process of recovering your health.
Keep Your Body Clean – on the Inside – to Protect or Improve Your Health
Health is a Journey
Staying or becoming healthy, naturally, is a journey
. . . what you do, every day, can help you, what you do occasionally won’t harm you. And, if you hit one of life’s pot holes, a sickness, an injury or infection, you’ll be ready for it.